Postpartum Recipes: French Onion Soup
By Doula Jen
- 8 large yellow onions, sliced
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 32 oz. beef broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- French baguette, 2 days old and sliced into rounds
- Gruyere cheese, shredded (about ¼ cup per serving)
- oven-safe soup crocks
- In a large, deep soup pot over medium heat, sauté onions in butter until they are translucent (about 10 minutes).
- Add wine, continue to turn onions until carmelized.
- Add flour, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- Add broths, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 425º.
- In your oven-safe soup crocks, portion out desired amount of soup (there will likely be leftovers).
- Top with sliced baguette croutons and shredded cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes.
- Let stand for at least 10 minutes before eating. Soup will be very hot.
Easy Leftover Recommendation:
For an individual portion, heat soup in microwave (without toppings) for about 2 minutes. Top with cheese and croutons and heat for an additional 30 seconds. Brown under broiler on high for about 4 minutes. Enjoy!