Postpartum Recipes: Tomato Basil Soup
By Doula Jen
‘Tis the season once again, friends. The chill is in. Time to cozy up with some warm, stick-to-the-ribs comfort food. We’re playing the old broken record on this one: soup is the best meal—hands down—for postpartum mamas. Healing warmth, healthy ingredients, easy to eat, perfect for freezing. Need we go on?
All hail the classic tomato. Serve with bread and butter or a decadent grilled cheese. A spread that makes the new mama feel mothered herself. What could be better?
- -4 cups (chopped) seeded and peeled tomato–either fresh or whole canned
- -3 cups tomato juice
- -1 cup lowfat milk
- –¼ teaspoon salt
- -¼ teaspoon black pepper
- -¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- -8-10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Bring tomatoes and tomato juice to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes
- Blend mixture, herbs, and spices on puree until fairly smooth.
- Return to pan and stir in milk.
Best when served with a soft blanket and a good book.